... / ... / ... / Upon arrival / Mandatory registrations

Mandatory registrations

Employees staying in the Netherlands for more than 4 months must be included in the Municipal Population Register (Dutch: Basis Registratie Personen, BRP - formerly known as GBA).

city hall RotterdamYou are required to report at the city hall within 5 days of your arrival. Call 14 010 (or from abroad: +31-10-2671625) to make an appointment in advance.

For further details including the list of documents you need to bring along, please visit the

webpage of the Rotterdam municipality

Google map of the city hall

city hall address
Coolsingel 40
3011 AD Rotterdam

Employees staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months are not included in the BRP.

Employees staying in the Netherlands for more than 4 months are automatically assigned a Citizen Service Number (Dutch: Burger Service Nummer, BSN), upon their BRP registration at the city hall.

The BSN is used by different Dutch government institutions to identify citizens, for instance for tax purposes, allowances, and social security payments. You also need the BSN to open a bank account. If this applies to you, then please contact the International Office via e-mail internationaloffice@erasmusmc.nl.

tax office RotterdamEmployees staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months, and employees who live outside the Netherlands (usuallly Belgium) are not included in the BRP, and therefore are not automatically assigned a BSN.

Are you staying in the Netherlands for less than four months to work or study? You will need a citizen service number (burger servicenummer - BSN) for your contacts with the Dutch authorities.  You get this number when you register in Rotterdam at the Civil Affairs Department at Town Hall or one of the other municipalities as a non-resident in the Municipal Personal Records Database (RNI). You can make an appointment to visit Town Hall by calling  010-2671625. Ask for an appointment at Town Hall for registration as a non-resident (RNI). You need to apply in person.

Registration from abroad
In this case you must contact the Dutch Tax administration/Department of International Issues in Heerlen:
Telephone number: +31 55 5385385
Address: Postbus 2865, 6401 DJ Heerlen